The Division of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine at ZHUMC operates as a closed ICU containing 16 beds for adult patients with an annual admission rate of around 600 patients. We provide tertiary care facilities for critically ill patients according to evidence-based practices, including cutting-edge technology in monitoring equipment and mechanical ventilators.
Our multidisciplinary medical team consists of intensivists who attend to patients with various medical diagnoses such as: Sepsis/Septic shock, MODS, ARDS and acute stroke, managed by medical and interventional thrombolysis. Our neurosurgery and oncology surgeons also deal with complex surgical and trauma cases.
Critical Care Medicine takes care of severely ill patients and works on optimizing resource utilization. It is considered a referral ICU for other peripheral hospitals.
Respiratory therapists provide patients with acute and chronic respiratory failure with continuous on-site support. Experienced nursing staff workers are also there to provide ultimate coverage for all patients.
- Our division provides diagnoses and management of a wide range of respiratory diseases.
- Outpatient services include COPD, Asthma, Sleep Apnea, Lung Fibrosis, simple and complex pleural effusions, interstitial lung disease, lung cancer, lung nodules, and pulmonary hypertension.
- Inpatient consultation services
- Procedures that diagnose and treat lung conditions:
- Adult and Pediatric Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy with Bronchoalveolar Lavage for airway foreign body removal.
- Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy with Endobronchial and Fluoroscopic Transbronchial Biopsy
- Pulmonary Function Test
- CT-Guided Pleural and Lung Biopsies
- Thoracocentesis with pleural catheters
Our division at ZHUMC offers a comprehensive 3-year fellowship program that exposes fellows to a unique array of critical care and pulmonary patients. Fellows are introduced to cutting-edge technology and state-of-the-art principles for monitoring and therapy, with a focus on Sepsis, ARDS and mechanical ventilation, multiple organ failure, infection control, nutrition, pain, and postoperative management. Ethical considerations and end-of-life decisions are an integrated part of the program.
Fellows are trained to perform all major ICU procedures with proficiency. This program aims to prepare fellows to assume full responsibility for critically ill patients.
Message From The Chair
- Provide high quality, state-of-the-art patient care
- Advance biomedical research
- Provide fellows, residents, and other trainees with all the knowledge and skills they need to sustain our goal
Bassam Mansour, M.D.
Tel:+961-1-851040 Ext: 3228/3229