Founded in 1992, Al-Zahraa Nursing Institute was one of the first such nursing programs to be established at the time. Today, it becomes among the top nursing institutes in Lebanon, offering education for students and preparing nurses for successful professional careers in the community and in the Lebanese and regional healthcare facilities. Using pioneering methods and techniques of teaching, and thanks to a dedicated team of faculty and clinical educators, Al-Zahraa Nursing Institute has earned its reputation among the top rankings nursing schools for its distinguished results in the official exams of the Ministry of Vocational and Technical Education in Lebanon.
Its mission, vision and goals are derived from the philosophy of its mother institution- Al-Zahraa Hospital University Medical Center (ZHUMC).
Al-Zahraa Nursing Institute was founded with a mission to:
- Empower professional nurses in addressing the healthcare needs of the community and advancing the profession;
- Enrich a student-centered and innovative standards-based curriculum;
- Promote optimal and engaged learning in an educational setting;
- Enhance the highest standards of professional nursing education under the supervision of dedicated and knowledgeable faculty members and administrators;
- Provide educational programs that prepare students to pursue entry level positions in a competitive and rapidly changing workplace, to promote health and individual wellbeing.
Al-Zahraa Nursing Institute is guided by a vision to:
- Become a leading nursing institute in quality teaching, learning and scholarship;
- Ensure that students fulfill their academic potential in preparation for universities and careers, while focusing on graduating nurses who are skillful, caring, and knowledgeable with a clear vision of the nursing discipline;
- Create a learning environment where knowledge is created and shared with excellence.
A school student considering a nursing career might consider pursuing any of the following options:
- Earning a Practical Nursing Diploma and becoming a licensed practical nurse (P.N.); or
- Attaining a BT or TS degree in nursing.
Practical Nursing Diploma
Duration: Two years
A student can earn a diploma in licensed practical nursing in approximately one or two year depending on the educational level (grades 8, 9, or Brevet certificate).
In the duration of study, a student is able to decide on his/her specialty through practical experience in a hospital setting. This includes but is not limited to all fields, from anatomy to nutrition.
Upon successful graduation, students will be eligible to obtain the Practical Nursing Diploma, allowing them to provide care to patients relying on acquired skills in patient care technologies, information systems, and communication devices that support safety and quality nursing practice. Graduates can assist R.N.s and doctors.
« Baccalauréat Technique » in Nursing (BT)
Duration: Three years
The BT in Nursing program focuses on technical skills and theory. It serves as a stepping stone for graduates of this program towards a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) or other health-related programs.
This type of degree is a great option for someone interested in becoming a Nurse.
« Technicien Supérieur » in Nursing (TS)
Duration: 2 years
The TS in Nursing program focuses on theory and technical skills.
It is another stepping stone for graduates of this program towards a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) or other health-related programs. Students follow a special program in nursing known as the “bridging program”.
It is a bridging program between the RN and BSN degrees, which is designed for registered nurse graduates in the TS program, who want to complete their BSN degree within a duration of 18 months to 2 years from any reputable university in Lebanon.
Completion of one of these educational routes allows graduates to take the official exams of the Lebanese Ministry of Vocational and Technical Education.
Graduates should be licensed as “technical nurses” to work under the supervision of BSN graduates.
Every applicant must submit an application form that includes the following requirements:
- School certificate of grade 7 or 8 for the « Brevet Pratique » program
- Official or certified copy of the Brevet certificate for the BT program
- Official baccalaureate or certified copy of the TS program
- School certificate of grade 9 for the one-year « Brevet Pratique » program
- Health clearance certificate
- A photocopy of ID certified by any mayor (mukhtar)
- 2 passport-size photographs certified by any mayor (mukhtar)
Applicants are also required to pay a fee upon admission to complete the registration process. Financial assistance is offered to applicants who meet the requirements through governmental resources (Ministry of Social Affairs), where they will be eligible for free education.
Graduates who apply to work at Al-Zahraa Hospital University Medical Center (ZHUMC) and would like to pursue their undergraduate studies in nursing at IUL (Islamic University of Lebanon) will be exempted from 50% of their tuition fees during their enrollment in the program.
- Anatomy and Physiology;
- Nursing Foundations: Basic Nursing, Adult Health Nursing, Maternity Nursing, Pediatric Nursing, Community Nursing, Pharmacology for Nursing;
- Languages (Arabic, French and English)