Physiotherapy is one of the allied health professions which- by use of mechanical forces and movements (bio-mechanics or kinesiology), manual therapy, exercise therapy and electrotherapy- remediates impairments and promotes mobility and function.
Physiotherapy at ZHUMC improves clients’ quality of life by:
- Promoting optimal mobility, physical activity and overall health and wellness
- Preventing disease, injury, and disability
- Managing acute and chronic conditions, activity limitations, and participation restrictions
- Improving and maintaining optimal functional independence and physical performance
- Rehabilitating injury and the effects of disease or disability with therapeutic exercise programs and other interventions
- Educating and planning maintenance and support programs to prevent re-occurrence, re-injury or functional decline
The physiotherapy department at ZHUMC is managed by qualified physiotherapists and well-trained staff to provide both inpatient and outpatient services to those referred to us by our doctors or their teams. We offer a safe and friendly environment, with advanced equipment to offer high quality therapeutic care for our patients.
Based on our extensive knowledge of human anatomy and physiology, our physiotherapists are equipped to:
- Assess the condition and current level of function
- Identify treatment aims
- Devise and offer a personalized treatment plan for every patient
Any laboratory and imaging results such as: X-rays, CT-scan, or MRI findings are incorporated to define the best treatment plans. Electro-diagnostic testing may also be used.
Treatment include prescription of or assistance with specific exercises, manual therapy and manipulation, mechanical devices such as traction and physical agents which include heat, cold, electricity, sound waves, radiation, assistive devices, prosthesis, orthosis and other interventions.
We offer rehabilitation services, both on floor and in our department with various medical problems that may cause decreased mobility and independence.
Our services cover the following areas:
- Cardiovascular and Pulmonary
Manual therapy is used to assist in clearing lung secretions experienced with cystic fibrosis. Treatment of Pulmonary disorders, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and pulmonary fibrosis can be applied during hospitalization or during recovery.
Geriatric physical therapy covers older people suffering from arthritis, osteoporosis, Alzheimer, hip and joint replacement, balance disorders, etc.
Neurological physical therapy focuses on restoring function in patients having neurologic disorders such as: stroke, Alzheimer's, brain injury, cerebral palsy, facial palsy, Parkinson, multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury.
Orthopedic physical therapy deals with the diagnosis and management of a wide spectrum of disorders and injuries of the musculoskeletal system including: rehabilitation after orthopedic surgery, acute trauma such as sprains, strains, injuries of tendon, bursa, joints, bone, and deformities like scoliosis and other spinal conditions, chronic neck and back pain, and sport injuries. Therapy is mostly performed in outpatient settings, and by the use of several techniques including mobilization/manipulation, therapeutic exercise, neuromuscular techniques, muscle reeducation, hot/cold packs, and electrical muscle stimulation.
Pediatric physical therapy assists in the early detection of health problems in children and uses a variety of modalities to provide physical therapy for pediatric patients. For a variety of congenital, developmental, neuromuscular, skeletal, or acquired disorders/diseases, treatments mainly focus on improving gross and fine motor skills, balance and coordination, strength and endurance as well as cognitive and sensory processing, and integration.
Sport-related physiotherapy and/or rehabilitation assist in the treatment of sport-related injuries. These conditions include:
- Immediate or long-term injury
- Joint, ligament or soft tissue injury. e.g. sprains and pulls
- Pre and post-operative care requirements
- Specific rehabilitation needs
- Sports-specific or team requirements
- Rehabilitation and prevention programs
- Other non-sport related injuries such as Sciatica and Whiplash
Our physiotherapy department maintains a strong network with several medical institutions, particularly with the Lebanese University, and offers the opportunity to train students while on their journey to obtain their Bachelor’s degree. These students are valuable members in our team; they rotate in all physiotherapy sections during a training period of five months under strict supervision, and receive relevant lectures in accordance with their chosen academic program.
Message From The Chair
Dr. Ali Jaber
The physiotherapy department is open from Monday to Friday (7.00am till 2:00pm), and Saturday (7:00am till 1:00pm). For information and appointments, please call: 00961-1- 851040 Ext: 3030